corrections in translations 9 years 6 months ago #15134

• hekla
  • hekla's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 193
Hi
two questions concerning the translations:

1) Where do I report language corrections when the language is already 100% completed like in German. Do I still do changes in transifex? And if yes, I guess it makes sense to correct them in JEM 2.x and JEM 3, isn't it.

2) Some of the German translations are not wrong, but
  • are bad style / too literally translated from English
  • make no sense in the given context
  • have redundant words (like in the settings using the word "setting" again in some lines)
Do I correct them or do I add a comment in transifex?
And in general about the translations: How can I (an others) contribute without creating a wild mess of different styles?
Especially with fixed terms, expressions and styles – the have to be coherent over all the language files …

(Sorry from being so picky – I come from the language business)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by hekla.

corrections in translations 9 years 6 months ago #15135

Hi hekla, you're welcome to contribute in transifex. Ernst67 will surely give you rights. All german translations are in the fidst step of translations. They are not yet: geprüft. I saw during translation, that's very difficult and dangerous to translate separated from the program. So near the same expression, can not be the same. And to say it too, the translater is swiss.
So fell free to correct. Perhaps we've to discuss in some cases.
Jojo
I am on the way to translate the help files too. This seems not possible in transifex.

Last edit: by jojo12.

corrections in translations 9 years 6 months ago #15138

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 449
That's indeed a question I had too: How does the translaters know where / in which contexts the strings are used. In some cases I added new strings and would like to add a little hint for translation - but there's no way. :(

@Jojo: Maybe you should rename your package to "de-CH". B)
But for me your translation is one of the best found in the internet. :cheer:

@hekla: Professional help is of course always welcome. :)

corrections in translations 9 years 6 months ago #15140

@Hekla,

Yes, please make your corrections at transifex. After that, simply send me a message and I can create a new language pack.

I have asked this question before..: Do we need a separate de-DE and de-CH language pack? it's very easy to create, so clone a language, so if there is a point in that, please let me know...

corrections in translations 9 years 6 months ago #15142

• hekla
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for your answers.

I already have rights to write in den German language files.

It is not necessary to create a de-CH language pack, since the written language in Switzerland is "normal" German too (I'm Swiss too :) , but I have lived in Germany for 12 years now). An anyway: there is no de-CH Joomla language pack.

And don't get me wrong: I'm very happy that there is a 100% translated German version and the translation is not bad in general, it's just version 1.0 and it needs refinements.

Some translations can only be made correctly, when seeing it in its context = installed. Then you realize what makes sense, what is clear etc.

For projects like this I would suggest, to create a list of fixed terms, so everybody knows if e.g. "venue" in German is "Veranstaltungsort" or "Ort der Veranstaltung" or if it can be "Ort" when the context is clear etc. This brings a lot of clarity and prevents confusions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluefox

corrections in translations 9 years 6 months ago #15143

• hekla
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
@ernst67

Yes, please make your corrections at transifex. After that, simply send me a message and I can create a new language pack.

As I have tons of projects it is difficult for me to go through all of it at once. I would rather prefer to work bit by bit ...
Or I will just use JEM now, adjust the translations in my files and when I have a bunch of refinements it will post them.
Is this a good modus operandi for you?

Last edit: by hekla.
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Donate

If you find JEM useful and if you use it on your site, please consider a donation to the project.

Private Messages

You are not logged in.

Follow us......