• Page:

TOPIC:

category with root 5 years 7 months ago #18976

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 449
Hi Osmin,

while reading this thread yet I was surprised about "ID1" because this is reserved for "root" category.
In very old 1.9.x beta versions we had no root category but normally update script detects this and "moves" all category ids to add "root" with id 1.
I'm sure some pieces of JEM will not work correctly if there is no category "root" with id 1.

Regarding all the options for the basic module I'm not sure if we should add them.
The basic module is designed to be basic and simple. It shows date/time and event title - that's all.
For more information we provide the other three (non-calendar) modules which also have much more options.
So if we enhance the basic module by all these additional fields and corresponding show/hide options, what's the difference to the other modules? Why do we deliver four of them?

Because it's impossible to provide modules matching the needs of every user my intention is to provide modules with different functionality where users can simply adapt the presentation using template overrides.
This way one could take e.g. the banner module with all it's options and write a tmpl/default.php which shows the data as simple list like basic module does - but with more data, of course.
Pessimists are optimists with experience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jojo12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

category with root 4 years 11 months ago #21449

My question is simple: is this root row really necessary? Will anything stop working if I delete it?

category with root 4 years 11 months ago #21453

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
What's your problem? This entry is only visible in database.
But if you don't like it fell free to delete. Don't forget to also delete the root entry in Joomla's categories table.
And after you realised that nearly nothings is working then delete all the rest. :P

Or in other words: I don't understand your question. :unsure:
This hidden root entry is required by the way Joomla manages trees.

category with root 4 years 11 months ago #21458

There are plugins and components using database access and I use one where you can do the settings from the backend. Thing is, there is no AND choice, it allows only one rule.

What I needed was the category names that are published, but with the root row I would need two rules: published = 1 AND id > 1 - so now I had to hack the plugin which is somehow dirty and thats why I wondered if this root row is really needed or maybe only set up on initial to maybe check if the table was created.

So now I will leave it with the hack.. thanks anyways!

Last edit: by lecoqroach.

category with root 4 years 11 months ago #21478

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hm... this sounds dangerous. I hope you know what you do and don't open an unexpected backdoor to allow everyone to administer (parts of) your site.

Independent from the root entry (which you could also filter out with "parent_id > 0") at least the 'access' field should be checked against user's access levels.
We invested a lot of time to provide JEM with a hopefully good security where the admin can decide who can see or do what. But having tools running which access tables directly JEM has no chance to prevent vulnerabilities.
Finally it's your decision, of course.

category with root 4 years 11 months ago #21484

the component is only used by superadmins from the backend, so nothing to worry... ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds

Donate

If you find JEM useful and if you use it on your site, please consider a donation to the project.

Private Messages

You are not logged in.

Follow us......