• Page:

TOPIC:

changing the error notice 5 years 2 months ago #19488

• sf888
  • sf888's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I have read all the recent post about user rights, but so far could not find the solution to my problems.
I am using 2.1.4 with Joomla 3.4.4
In order to enlist a new event in frontend, my user must be registered. The event will have to be published by an admin.
There is no limitation to a category, so I have decided to go with the ACL (registered) because if I create a new ACL group JEM publisher, that would mean I would add all my users to this group, which did not really make sense to me.

But - I get an error message and page 404 upon saving the new event (event not found), so I do not know, what is going wrong.
The event itself has been created neverthless, the email is send and can be found in the backend.

There are a few users with status publisher, they can enlist and publish events. I have not tried that yet.
I am not a professional Joomla user, but apparently I am very good at hinding that. I know some CSS, something about overrides, but please do not count on it ...
JEM 2.1.4 on Joomla 3.4.3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

changing the error notice 5 years 2 months ago #19499

• jojo12
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 357
Hi, sorry to answer late. I had to try.

In order to enlist a new event in frontend, my user must be registered. The event will have to be published by an admin.

If I understand right, your settings are: New events from: all registered and autopublish: disabled-only admins.
Like that, a registered person should be able to create new events in all categories, which aren't associated with a JEM group and which are public.
But with the autopublish disabled an administrator has to publish it.

I can't reproduce your 404 page problem.

JEM ACL is not yet fully compatible with Joomla ACL. We are on the way for JEM 2.1.5.

EDIT: I didn't know that there's just Joomla 3.4.4, I am working on 3.4.3!
on JEM 2.3.0 stable in latest Joomla (3.9.22) Protostar php7.4.5

Last edit: by jojo12.

changing the error notice 5 years 2 months ago #19505

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 449
Hi sf888,

as Jojo wrote currently JEM's permission handling isn't perfect and I'm working on it to provide a better and more intuitive system with JEM 2.1.5.

The 404 (I could reproduce) is caused by creation of an unpublished event (you've set Autopublish to Admins only). The new event will be created but - conform to Joomla - the Author is not allowed to see it's own content as long as it's not published. With JEM 2.1.5 I will break this compatibility and allow owners to see their own content - published or not.
Also it will be possible to give Joomla groups JEM-wide permission to add, edit, and/or publish JEM events/venues.
Pessimists are optimists with experience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jojo12

changing the error notice 5 years 2 months ago #19511

• sf888
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Hoffi,
thank you for your answer.
If the error message handling could be improved, then it would help already.
There is an non understandable error message if somebody tries to create an event and is not logged in. If he could read, that he must be logged in and even be redirected to the login page, wow that would be something.
And with my permission handling described above - even without trying to solve this with Joomla ACL - there is a non understandable error message, although actually the new event has been created and emails are send to the admin, but as a user I do not see all this and do not understand that at all, I think I forgot to fill in something or whatever. That was very confusing to begin with untill I thought I was doing something wrong from the settings in backend. So if at this point a message could be displayed: Your event has been created and is awaiting approval or something alike instead of you an unspecific error message.

A while back, there was already a brief discussing about the error message handling. There was a mention that this is an easy fix ... -> just changing a bit of code + text

Unfortunately, my php knowledge is just copy n paste, not good enough for this, I am afraid.
I am not a professional Joomla user, but apparently I am very good at hinding that. I know some CSS, something about overrides, but please do not count on it ...
Attachments:

changing the error notice 5 years 2 months ago #19514

• jojo12
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 357
I agree, the notice is not very well. And if it's easy to do, that should be changed.

Meanwhile I use the following:
I use the new event menu only in usermenu which is only visible for registrated people.
And I have a notice in the introtext of simplelist (or similar) "for submitting new events you have to login first"
on JEM 2.3.0 stable in latest Joomla (3.9.22) Protostar php7.4.5

changing the error notice 5 years 2 months ago #19515

• sf888
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jojo,

just for the record, enclosed the error message for the successfully registered event.
Who would have guessed, that all it needs now is to get it published by an admin.
So even if the registering of events is hidden behind a login, this strange error message does not help.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jojo12

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Donate

If you find JEM useful and if you use it on your site, please consider a donation to the project.

Private Messages

You are not logged in.

Follow us......