Actually, I might as well spill the beans (not glamorous or a rec'ed path). This is what I came up with in 'events':
Yes, it's OK to be amused and laugh, and even wonder, "WT$*^@#?"
1. Added a bunch of unpublished dummy categories to my existing extensive list (low ID# reservation).
2. Created a new category under root.
3. Fingered the ID# of the new cat to 1000 in the DB.
4. Created child cats under the parent ID #1000 (auto increment 1001, 1002, etc).
5. Changed the event edit view to:
A: Show < ID #1000 in normal cat presentation.
B. Show > ID #1000 in new line.
Categories: <normal blah, blah, blah>
Amenities: <new stuff blah, blah, blah>
This is where I moved to 'venue' and realized all the code I was going to have to change if I were to stay in just 'views' with the crazy mod. It was an impressive mess though and worked. LOL