Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Menu Item for city of venue. 7 years 7 months ago #18897

• AchLive
  • AchLive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi jojo12, also in my opinion at the moment this is the only solution.
Create a category for each city and then manage the menu items for each of them. Hopefully in future updates because the function is very important :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Menu Item for city of venue. 7 years 7 months ago #18899

Hi AchLive,
For an hour or 2 I traveled the same path with categories.
I was using the method to assign attributes to venues. Same difference though.

I simply split the core categories functions in 2. 1-1000 (or whatever) was for normal core function, 1001 (or whatever) was for my new venue stuff.

Doing so provided a way to keep things on their own paths.
I posted about this not long ago. I ended up going a different route simply because my list of core mods was becoming unmanageable and scary to follow. Besides, it was not a very eloquent hack.

My ultimate solution has been to run a parallel solution just outside of JEM that is portable across upgrades. A real pain and quite a bit of work though.

At any rate, I think I still have notes on my hacks if it will help. Not much really, just some logic inserted here and there in a few filles.
Regards,
Greg

Noob end-user, just sorting it out...
Joomla! 3.4.1
JEM Component: 2.1.3
JEM Component: 2.1.4
JEM Component: 3.0.7

Menu Item for city of venue. 7 years 7 months ago #18907

Happened on this. Haven't tried it, but it seems to simplify some of things that might otherwise be difficult for us non-programmers. May finish up my venue categories project with it among other things. Oh, and it's free.

fabrikar.com/help/tutorials/details/3/18-existing-tables
Regards,
Greg

Joomla! 3.4.1

Menu Item for city of venue. 7 years 7 months ago #18909

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 449

mrgreg wrote: I simply split the core categories functions in 2. 1-1000 (or whatever) was for normal core function, 1001 (or whatever) was for my new venue stuff.

Hi Greg,

because the id is a primary key and auto-increment (which means handled by the DBMS itself) I can't recommend this way. ;)
Additional to this more theoretical potential conflict (nearly nobody needs to create more than thousand categories) you have to know if and where this id wil be used as reference. For example when having full ACL support for categories it could be that if you create a new category in backend automatically an additional record is added to assets table using this original id. This could result in strange effects hard to find if you only change the id in jem_categories table.
Pessimists are optimists with experience!

Last edit: by Hoffi.

Menu Item for city of venue. 7 years 7 months ago #18915

I agree. It was a nutty idea in its implementation and carried out on a whim. However 'split in half' probably was a poor choice of words.
But if one were to create a bunch dummy categories (a reservation pool) one could simply unpublish them and then re-work them as need. Anything added after could then be considered <some new use> and dealt with using some logic. "Show this range as normal categories, show this range as <some new use>".
Still fraught with traps- but mostly just harmless ones however requiring many logic changes in the code where they might pop up.

After playing with Fabrik a bit last night it is clearly a tool for the non programer that can greatly extend the presentation potential for JEM without having to bother developers, hack at core files, or come up with some other crazy idea ;)
With 4 little lines of code on the core I have already seamlessly embed a full extended form (component in a component) in the JEM front end admin (with proper ACL) and access to my new tables- jem_cust_venue_categories and jem_cust_cats_venue_relations.

Venue categories for me. WhooHoo!
Regards,
Greg

Joomla! 3.4.1

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

Donate

If you find JEM useful and if you use it on your site, please consider a donation to the project.

Private Messages

You are not logged in.

Follow us......