• Page:

TOPIC:

PHP Upgrade - Warning Message on Form Add Event 5 years 11 months ago #15805

• AchLive
  • AchLive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi, use the Event List Version 1.0.2 Stable. In form added an event appears the following error
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /components/com_eventlist/models/editevent.php on line 164
If I enter the event is saved.
This error appeared after upgrade PHP to version 5.4.
Do you know how to fix this error.
I also have another question, you can upgrade to the new version eventlist JEM 2.0.2 without losing data.
Thanks for the support

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PHP Upgrade - Warning Message on Form Add Event 5 years 11 months ago #15807

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 449
Hi AchLive,

I think EL was developed before PHP 5.4 was released. So there may be some problems when using PHP > 5.3. Regarding the warning I can't say anything yet because at the moment I don't have access to EL code. But I can take a look in ~5-6 hours.

Regarding changing from EL to JEM (which should work fine on PHP 5.3, 5.4, 5.5):
Because JEM is based on EL but an independent extension with all names changed in code there is no direct upgrade, both extensions could run parallel on the same site without influence. But you can import the content from EL (directly from DB via simple click). I hadn't tried it out until now but think at least all events and venues will be imported. Menu items, modules and all the configuration (more than on EL) must be made by hand.
Also you may like to use a more complex category structure, category specific user groups to create/edit events, notification mails via jem mailer plugin, one or more calendar modules or other new features.

So yes, you can switch to JEM without the need to type in all events and venues again, but no, it's not fully automatically.

But because EL and JEM can run parallel you could play around with JEM first (using menu items / modules set to access level "special" to hide them from registered users and guests, if you like) while all others continue to use EL until you fully switch. So the risk should be minimal.

I would say switching to JEM would be a good decision. ;) (Sure, EL is good, no question. But development has stoped.)
Because JEM (like EL) is for free the only thing we can get are happy users (which is a good pay for me). So my recommendation is based only on the fact that we're working on JEM to keep it up-to-date and as bug less as possible. Meaning you get a living extension, growing up step by step.
Pessimists are optimists with experience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: AchLive

Last edit: by Hoffi.

PHP Upgrade - Warning Message on Form Add Event 5 years 11 months ago #15811

• AchLive
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hoffi Hi, thank you for the answer.
I hope you can help me on the problem I encountered a road that corrects the error page editevent.php EL.
I plan to make the move to JEM and would like to import all the work done with EL. I wonder if there is a guide to make this step.
Then I saw that JEM is not yet activated for Joomla 3. Do you think that this will be possible forward?
I hope in your help, see you soon

PHP Upgrade - Warning Message on Form Add Event 5 years 11 months ago #15815

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi AchLive,

regarding import from EL into JEM I read a post about problems so I think I must take a look at this.

Joomla 3 support is currently a bit difficult. I know 2.5 shall die end of this year and we're working hard on a J! 3 compatible version.
One solution will be JEM 3 which will run on J! 3.x only but there are a lot of internal changes so there is currently no update mechanism implemented.
Another (intermediate) way could be JEM 2.1 which I try to make running on both J! 2.5 and J! 3.x. This is specifically for users upgrading from Joomla 2.5 to 3.2/3.3 but keeping the "old style" site template (like beez3, but not the "new style" protostar). That's because it's very difficult and time intensive to find a way having nice looking and working views on both J! 2.5 and 3.x.

I know, it's not the best answer and I'm not happy with this. But our time is too limited.
So you could wait until JEM 3 stable will be released which should be able to import from EL (I can't say when it's ready).
Or you use JEM 2 and upgrade to JEM 2.1 (which I plan to release this year - that is within the next 3.5 weeks :ohmy: ) to be able to use it on J! 3.x. We all agreed that we need an automatic way to update from JEM 2.x to JEM 3 - but we can't say when it's ready.

PHP Upgrade - Warning Message on Form Add Event 5 years 11 months ago #15817

• AchLive
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Hoffi, I understand that it would be better for me to wait JEM ver. 3 which should be imported from EL and is compatible with Joomla 3.
Thanks for the info.
I hope you have news on the issue of EL I idicato in the first post.
greetings

PHP Upgrade - Warning Message on Form Add Event 5 years 11 months ago #15819

• Hoffi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hm... tried it on my PHP 5.5 server but it works fine.
The warning itself is correct and should be shown on every PHP version because it's a little bug. You can solve this by inserting
$this->_event = new stdClass();
before all the "$this->_event->..." lines.

BUT I think that's not the real problem. Normally this piece of code should never be executed because there should be a valid eventform and so the form's data would be stored in the db.
I fear there was not only an update from PHP 5.3 to 5.4 but also changes on the PHP configuration.

If you have a way to compare the new php.ini against the previous one you should find the problem there. If not it's a problem. You could check if all other things (e.g. article creation) work or if there are also problems (not this warning but e.g. not saving the new article). But this would really help, the only result could be that you have a big problem...
(no, seems to be the missing object only)

// EDIT:
But you wrote "the event is saved". So I debugged the code now and it seems it's regularly called but no warning was shown. Crazy - now I get the warning too so my suggestion above should fully fix the problem - hopefully. :)

Last edit: by Hoffi.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

If you find JEM useful and if you use it on your site, please consider a donation to the project.

Private Messages

You are not logged in.

Follow us......